Friday, August 29, 2008

my thoughts...

Talk about the kiss is so rife now but I'm more interested in the rationale behind putting that scene in the pv. For me, it just kills the fandom, though I foresee a lot more jumping into the bandwagon. The ratio's like 10:1. Guess who's the winner in the end?

I like 1444 because I like subtle things and because I love linking the dots. Having an analytical mind, I always go beyond what's superficial when I look at things. An instinct which comes naturally. And that's why I like 1444, they are never (like Sei had said) 'in-your-face'.

But now... (sighz)

Nobody I know have been in this fandom longer than I do. I'm not being boastful here. How many of you here actually downloaded the first episode of hello morning from a japanese website instead of from winmx or nowaday, a tracker? Yes, back in those days, mpgs are uploaded to website that changes url as fast as you can click on the refresh page icon. And you need to use complicating japanese softwares to join up the split files. That's how long I've been in this fandom. And it wasn't really 1444 in the beginning...

Yoshigama was the more popular belief - because both girls were in pucchimoni and because both girls were often paired together in mo-tai, muSix and h!m, though 1444 did show some initial signs in aisaga's making of 'I Wish' and in 'Hesos' and slowly catching on during mr.moonlight days. Then a tabloid came out and killed everything and it had been yoshigoma until Ma_ki's graduation from MM.

Even after that 1444 are never close again, much to my disappointment. There were even times I wondered if they had each gone their separate ways. My worries were uncalled for for there came their bickering period where they were always at loggerheads and pissing each other off. The scene where Yossi came from behind to hug a crying Rika when she thought filming had stopped left a big impact in me. And I realize they were still 'friends' which made me love them more, than when they were back then, being publicly lovey-dovey. But...

when that and a sneak massage footage were released later... they clammed up again. Totally cooled off and nobody ever mentioned 1444 again for a long long time. During this lull period (end 2003-2005), another pairing was born, that till this day still garners a large following. And I believed it was also during this period that Yossi had gotten close to Mai-chin and Ayaka. However when Rika graduates, we see them interacting again during the concerts and people were reminded once again why they were the classic couple back in MM golden days.


So when Rika left MM in 2005, I thought... 'That's it isn't it? That's the end since they'll be seeing less of each other now that they are not working together?'. I was quite sure that would be the end of them when Rika popped up and took over the hosting job for h!m. I was elated. And I wondered if the management knew that fans just wanted to see them being around each other. So, for every episode, I found myself watching closely to see if there's any interaction between them. And I realized they seemed to loosen up and miggle more than before. What a blessing in disguise Rika's graduation turns out to be. And randomly, I'll see Yossi saying things like "that girl is like that..." or Rika shouting "Yossi" when the latter's up to her silly antics or Yossi always looking in Rika's direction during those sekai world games. You could almost see that they are more connected to each other than they are to the rest in the studio. I guess being together in Gatas, with its many practises and public events does help in a way or another. That was around 2006 when Yossi was still closer to Mai-chin and Ayaka.

Year 2007, we saw 1444 really blossomed again. So many netas to show they've gotten closer, beginning with wonderheart concerts in the beginning of the year where Rika had fallen sick but still insisted on performing and fans caught someone watching from behind the curtains. For that same concert, we see footages of them frolicking backstage while Rika, in a bunny suit, was waiting for her turn next to perform and you wonder what was Yossi doing there with Rika when she was supposed to be with the rest of the MM members. Months later, during Sexy 8 Beat concert tour, Yossi mentioned she received an email from Rika that morning wishing her success for the first show and she did the 'ice-cream & pudding' poking pose when asked during an MC to do a sexy pose. See all the Yossi-Rika link? Because Rika also mentioned about Yossi during a MC for her v-u-den concert. And when Yossi took over Nono's role in a musical, I wondered why both of them just seemed so fated to be together in whatever they do. There were fans' sightings of them turning up to watch each other's performance. To keep up the hype and push it to greater heights, their fun-filled and rabu-rabu performance (Cherry) on utadoki brought smiles and endless nights of sweet dreams to every 1444 lovers. Kemeko's announcement on Midtown that she spent a rabu-rabu christmas party at home with Yossi and Rika brought this good year to an end.

Year 2008 arrived furiously with more gatherings and parties and staying over, and this time at Rika's place. And very very unexpectedly, to the joy of 1444 worshippers, Yossi just blurted out 'ISHIYOSHI COMBI' on Midtown which is such a winner because we wonder why she knows a term only used by wotas? Has she been checking out wotas forums too? It shows she knows fans like to link her and Rika together and judging from their frequent private get together, she doesn't mind the rumors at all. Then there's Gatas fanclub tour to Hawaii with sightings of them shopping together. Interaction at Gatas public practises and matches (Rika's infamous own goal). Dinner shows. Having similar hobbies... liking pink, futsal, aromatic candles, overseas dramas... So many instances of them being more involved in each other's life more than work requires.

That makes me wonders if there was something...
something beyond the threshold of friendship...
subliminally...

but the fake kiss footage... THAT FAKE KISS...

It just kills everything.

UFA, thanks for everything ya~

4 comments:

sei said...

Perhaps I'm second to you in being in the fandom for a while? I never had to do any of the file joining, though. My cousins did all that work for me, lol.

The more and more I watch the PV, I keep thinking that it's simply Yossi and Rika messing around (like it was their idea to do something GAM in the PV). It keeps with the whole playful atmosphere of the PV. It doesn't take away the fact that there's probably going to be an influx of 1444 fans, but if I keep believing it's just them messing with our minds, the "kiss" isn't as depressing as it was when I first saw the preview (but that's just me trying to find something good in such a situation).

katatsumuri said...

I heard in today's gatas event, there's some talk about the new PV and according to a fan who is there, Yossi was pretty shy about it. Rika was asking the crowd if they've seen it yet while Yossi kept fidgeting beside her... something like that. Now now now... I wonder how much truth was in that report. Because it does make a helluva difference if Yossi had felt shy about the scene in the PV...

katatsumuri said...

Rika said for those 'off-shot' scenes in the PV, it's up to them to do whatever they want. Totally ad-lib.

So Yossi decides to smooch Rika huh?

sei said...

Ha, good to know that my intuition was spot-on in this instance. :3